Shopping for clothes is fun! Said no teenage boy. Ever.
Well, maybe some teenage boys like to shop, but I didn’t get one of those.
Ever since Tech was a wee thing, he wanted to exit the mall as quickly as possible. He’d find one pair of pants that fit and start walking toward the checkout counter. “Get five of these,” he’d say.
Truth be told, that ethos worked for me because I’m not a big shopper, myself.
But the kid had a major growth spurt last year. He sprouted six inches, people! Six! During the last academic year, he outgrew his jeans 4 times!
When he came home for a few days between sessions of overnight camp, we assessed his closet and — just as I suspected — he needed everything.
It was overwhelming, but we made a list and rallied.
So whether your son identifies himself as a prep or a jock, a skater or a Goth, a hipster or a geek (or a combo pack), he’ll probably need this stuff in his closet this fall:
1. ON THE FEET. It’s been said that a person can judge a man by his shoes. If this is true, my kid was in bad shape because he came home with one muddy pair of sneakers and one pair of stinky flip-flops. Nothing else fit. We took care of that.
- Dress Shoes.
2. ON THE LEGS
- Jeans. I don’t care if they’re straight or slim, boot cut or skinny. Boys are going to grow out of them before the end of the year.
- Pants Other Than Denim. Jeans are great, but not every day. Khakis and cargos are must-haves, especially in Western New York, where it gets cool early into the academic calendar.
- Shorts. Cargo shorts are staples and should hit the knee.
- Gym shorts. Yes, please.
3. UP ON TOP
- Causal T-shirts. Sooooo many fun graphic T’s out there.
- Short & long-sleeve shirts.
- Button-up shirts. Can be worn open over t-shirts for a casual look, or buttoned for a more dressed up look.
5. INVISIBLE ESSENTIALS
- Underwear. Yes.
- Socks. And yes.
- Belt. Find a reversible brown to black leather for the win!
6. DRESSED UP
- A Suit. (If not a suit, a good jacket.) Because you never know.
- Button up shirt & tie. Because you need the fixins to go with the suit.
- Wristwatch. If you’re my kid, you won’t leave home without it.
What essentials did I forget? Besides dress shoes. Oy.
NOTE: This is a sponsored post from the good folks at Kohl’s, but the opinions expressed here are mine. I still despise going clothes shopping, but Tech got a lot of great stuff! Click HERE to check out more great back to school stuff that you may have missed.
Also, check out this hot mama to read about another #KohlsBack2School shopping experience. Because. Two little ones. Wow.